Tuesday 2 August 2016

Blaugust 2, 2016: Sugar Sugar





I’m a fairly tall chap, so weight doesn’t hang too badly on me, but I fluctuate between ten and twenty kilos heavier than would be healthy for me. This extra weight makes me slower, puts added strain on systems (such as my feet) already under pressure, and isn’t sexy as hell.

One of my favourite things in the world is eating sweet things. Icecream, chocolate, a nice piece of cake, the rest of the cake, a good vanilla slice… But I have very little self-control when it comes to food, and these tasty treats are packed full of sugar and are a significant contributing factor when it comes to my weight.

It would make good sense to reduce my intake. At times, I have made significant inroads. I gave up chocolate forever a couple of times. The first time lasted about nine months. Subsequent attempts were less successful, as it was easier to rationalise giving up. Giving up a single problem food also had the rather obvious downside of letting me overcompensate with all the other equally terrible for me problem foods. And before anyone suggests it… attempting portion control is not something that works for me. It's like Pringles: Once you pop, you can't stop.

So for Blaugust I am going to do something I have done once or twice before… I am going to temporarily give up sugar. I seem to remember having managed a month (or was it two weeks?) before, and it was an interesting experience. I got cravings, I got super irritable (more than usual), and I even got the shakes! So let’s see what happens, hey?

If anyone wants to help, keep me distracted with projects (blauging, RPGs) or with good company or whatnot.

My rules are as follows:

  • No chocolate, icecream, biscuits, cakes, pies, slices, or other dessert or snack foods in which cane sugar is the sweetener 
  • No sweetened drinks (This is something I have never had a problem with!)
  • A little bit of honey in my porridge or stewed fruit is fine, but relying on the sugars in the fruit is best
  • Keep this up until September 1st
  • Try to keep it up longer, but after this point I am allowed anything home-made served by other people, and anything that is properly amazing (cake from Muratti's on a special occasion, chocolate from a famous chocolatier in town for one day, etc)
I'll keep you informed about any fun symptoms. Wish me luck! I'm going out for dinner tonight, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment