Friday 12 August 2016

Blaugust 12, 2016: Seven Games



“What are your top seven games, Mork?” Well, I am glad you sort of asked, Thom! It makes for a wonderfully easy blaugust post, and I do so love a gimme. I will preface my list by saying that when it comes to tabletop gaming the thing I love the most is the experience shared with my dear friends, and so what may be a technically superior game may get shunted in favour of something that evokes a particular aesthetic. The following are presented in no particular order.

Carcassonne
What a delight! This simple tile-laying game is by no measure the deepest, but it makes for a wonderful quiet tug of war over a pot of tea for two, or a pleasurable exercise in ganking cities for more players.

The Resistance
The shouting game! This is a game of experiences. Hay, remember how Pichy and I always think the other is the spy? Remember how Louis always IS the spy? Good times.

7 Wonders + Cities + Leaders + Wonder Pack
No more, no less. Although I enjoy the Babel stuff, Cities and Leaders tend to make the game complete for me. This is the best configuration for just sitting down and playing.

Chess
I would be utterly remiss not to mention the classic strategy game. I am not particularly good at this, but this is most definitely one of my favourite seven games.

Dungeon Crawl Classics
This is the pinnacle of tabletop roleplaying game systems. Every class is cool and can do cool things in situations, and yes, I am including your basic warrior in that statement. The magic system for wizards and elves is superb, and the disapproval system for clerics is inspired. For best results, choose the most deliciously weird modules you can write or find.

And now a few video games for the list!

Planescape: Torment
I have spoken at length about my once slavish devotion to this most impeccably crafted of CRPGs, so I will save you the repetition. Interestingly a little of the shine is coming off of this for me now, and I would favour a replay of BGII over this.

Baldur’s Gate II
I tried, but I just don’t care about Baldur’s Gate as much as its sequel. Despite the somewhat ridiculous villain (or perhaps because of, in part?), there was just so much more in the world around you. Or so it feels to me. Not dying to bears! Insane gnomes! Firkraag! MORE insane gnomes! Demogorgon! EVEN MORE INSANE GNOMES! What is there not to love (In before a fight breaks out here between the Aerie shippers and the Jaheira shippers)? But the best part of Baldur’s Gate II is of course the expansion. Oh my. I want to roll up a new character and waste time I don’t have just thinking about it.

Honourable Mentions: A few games that came to mind that don’t quite make the cut (yet?)

Coup: Reformation
Loyalists vs Resistance! Catholics vs Protestants! State of Georgia vs Denver Fenton Allen! Less shouty than The Resistance, this delightful little game of backstabbing is just so simple and easy. A great palate cleanser.

The Grizzled
I love the Grizzled. Best with good friends who value quiet contemplation and tea.

Istanbul
I am coming to love this. The mechanic is superb, and the changing layout makes for continually changing optimal builds. The aesthetic is wonderful.

Shadows Over Camelot
What a wonderful co-op experience! Good for many temperaments! Despite the traitor mechanic, it does not overly promote paranoia and distrust, either, which is a good thing for a cooperative game.

1 comment:

  1. Planescape's essentially a free-roaming conversation simulator, so it's not one that really needs replaying more than once a decade or so. Whenever your memory of most of the non-major setting flavour has withered away is the time.

    BG2 has a heavier focus on gameplay mechanics, which in turn means more room for self expression and thus better replayability more frequently.

    ReplyDelete